"Saving the life of one cat may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one cat."
*We are closed Dec 24-25 and Dec 31-Jan 1*
King Street Cats
25 Dove Street
Alexandria, VA 22314 During COVID and until further notice we are not holding mobile adoptions
During COVID-19, we have seen a dramatic increase in adoption applications and emails. Please bear with us while our all-volunteer coordinators try to work through the backlog.
We are holding Kitty Meet and Greets every Sat/Sun from 1:30pm-4:30pm. Please note we will take online applications but do not do same-day adoptions. Once your application is approved we will schedule an appointment with you. Check out our Events page for details.
*Please note masks are recommended while at KSC.
When you come to the adoption center, our knowledgeable Adoption Counselors will talk with you about your cat knowledge and experience as well as your other pets, and match you with the cat that is perfect for your home and lifestyle. Once your application is approved you can come and pick up your new BFF. We do not do same-day adoptions or adopt outside the metro DVM region*
If you apply online, your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted via email. If you want to meet a cat or kitten that is in foster care, we will arrange that once your application is approved.
Some adult cats may be adopted singly, but we adopt out kittens in pairs
unless you have a playful cat or dog already in residence to keep the kitten company. Some of our cats are "bonded" with another cat, which means they must be adopted together.
King Street Cats asks for a $125 non-refundable adoption fee to adopt a cat or kitten, or $225 to adopt two. The fee includes:
- A cat that has been to a vet and tested for FELV/FIV. They are not put up for adoption unless the tests are negative (although sometimes we do have an FIV-positive cat that is healthy and can be adopted).
- An adult cat that is up-to-date on vaccinations before being made available for adoption. (Kittens will have had vaccinations appropriate for their age)
- Cats and kittens are spayed or neutered before they are placed for adoption. Kittens are spayed/neutered at around 16 weeks and are then available for adoption.
- Cats and Kittens are microchipped before they are placed for adoption. KSC does not transfer the microchip and remains the primary contact but new owners can be added upon request.
- Post-adoption support: our volunteers are very knowledgeable about cat care. We encourage adopters to call us with any questions.
At King Street Cats, we are looking for "Forever Homes" for our cherished cats and kittens not "just until." We therefore carry out a stringent background check on all our applications and strive to make the best match for our cats
. We do not adopt cats out as "gifts" and ask that everyone who will live with the cat(s) meets with them during the adoption process.
Please complete our online adoption application
if you are interested in adopting a specific cat(s).We are all volunteers with full-time jobs,
so please be patient in waiting for a response to your application; our background check can take several days. Please come and visit with the cats you are interested in during our open adoption hours!
*Many of our cats come from high-kill shelters outside the metro DVM in MD/VA, so if you live there, you would be literally saving a life by going directly to the shelters near you.
Why kittens Need to Be Adopted in Pairs
King Street Cats requires that kittens be adopted in pairs unless you have an existing kitten or cat or dog at home. This policy is NOT based on a desire to increase our number of adoptions. Rather this ensures that the kittens we have rescued and love find their forever homes.Read more…
Fix at Four
King Street Cats supports Best Friends Animal Society's Fix at Four
spay and neuter campaign in the belief that it is better for kittens to wait until they weigh 4lbs or are 4 months old before undergoing sterilization surgery. At that age it is also safe for them to receive rabies and other vaccinations. While our kittens may be a little older than you were looking for we believe they are healthier and...you won't need to pay for their initial vaccinations.
A Shout Out for Senior Cats
King Street Cats prides itself on taking in not just easy-to-adopt cute kittens but senior cats and cats with special needs whenever we have the room. Here are 10 great reason to adopt a senior cat
- When senior cats are adopted, they seem to understand that they've been rescued, and are all the more thankful for it.
- A senior cat's personality has already developed, so you'll know if he or she is a good fit for your family.
- You can teach an old cat new tricks. Senior cats have the attention span and impulse control that makes them easier to train than their youthful counterparts.
Our Special Senior Cats Adoption Program
King Street Cats CATS Program
Cats Are Therapeutic for Senior Citizens
King Street Cats has a soft spot for senior kitties and we have a long history of helping our older friends find new homes. There are many benefits to adopting a senior kitty
If you're age 60 or older, and are interested in adopting a kitty that is 8-years or older, we offer a special reduced adoption rate of $65.
Please contact King Street Cats for more information.
Love Is Special…
As a No More Homeless Pets Network
partner, King Street Cats has partnered with Best Friends Animal Society
in promoting the Love Is Special adoption and special-needs awareness campaign. We occasionally rescue cats that are blind, deaf or wobbly (neurological conditions) and availble for adoption. We can advise you on how to care for cats and kittens who need your special love.
Below are Cotton, Mallory and Lee Ann all former special love cats now in their forever homes. Contact Us
for Further Information or Questions.
We look forward to helping you find your Best Feline Friend.